Tuesday, October 4, 2011

NaBloPoMo

1) open the box of packets containing your power
2) dissolve one double-strength tablet and drink deeply
3) allow the medicine to target the issue, which is only ever
    old pain.
4) Release.  That's it. 
5) Awareness will flower, and will liberate stuck energy

Just found and joined NaBloPoMo, a group of bloggers who want support in forming their blogging habits.  I hadn't thought about it until I ran accross a NaBloPoMo button on someone's blog--Thanks Michelle--I found it on the SecThurs blog (thanks, SecThurs blogger, too!  I wish I was a homeschool mom so I could post!  I'm a religious homeschool survivor from the '80's, does that qualify?).

I came up with this blog title a few months ago, when I became tired of being a problem drinker.  This was to mark the beginning of an era in which I still find myself, one which has turned a corner recently, to be sure.  When I came up with the title, I was returning to an earlier personal-intake-moderation plan I'd conceived which consisted of following Mireille Giuliano's equilibrium-finding program as outlined in her book French Women Don't Get Fat (hate the title, by the way, and the whole notion that fat is inherently evil and thin is required for true bliss--whatever!).  I love the notion of slowing down and truly enjoying the moments which make up this life I am in for who knows how long or short.  Her advice is a bit Bhuddist in a way (loving the suchness of this present moment), but it's lavishly wrapped in charming Provencal butcher paper with that twine you can only find there.  It appeals in a big way to this particular hedonist.

Since starting this blog, I have had an experience or two, including an apartment fire and a major confrontation and subsequent rift with my rigidly religious father, having to move back in with soon-to-be-ex-husband, and finally admitting that my overuse of alcohol isn't going to budge without the big guns.  "What? Rehab, Madame?," you must be wondering.  No, or at least not yet, but I have sought help in a 12-step program, which is about the same thing from where I'm standing.  It's just a lot cheaper and you eat and sleep off-campus.  I have had to say "Adieu!" to Mireille's genteel guideline of one glass of wine per day, as I tried keeping it to just the one glass, time without number.  Most of the time, I wound up drinking way more than that and waking up wishing I could change my ways.  Okay, so The Big Guns--12 steps, a new community, a new mindset, a new lifestyle, and voille!  I am changing my ways!  It's a sweet relief to wake up rested, with clear eyes, no adrenaline surge about who I drunk-dialed last night or whether I remembered to put the food away after dinner.  My body is functioning better too, which is a huge, huge plus (getting older, was getting worried).

So this Francophile woman (me) has practically gone to rehab after all.  At last analysis, all I have lost is a bit of opinionated pride, some judgements about 12-step organizations, some secretly-disdained isolation and a former pleasure that had become a big pain in my ass. 

As my favorite oracle Robb Walsh says, and I paraphrase, " I am ready for newer, bigger, wetter problems!"



No comments:

Post a Comment