Thursday, October 6, 2011

I have been nannying a boy for the past 7 years of our lives who fits into the "oppositional-defiant" category, and who is now going to a therapeutic school geared toward children with this challenge.   A few months ago, back when his mom told me that they were considering this school, I went to their website.  Inexplicably, I felt a quickening within, like electricity, almost like when I've met someone I'm incredibly attracted to.  I even considered asking if they needed volunteers, I was so enamored.  I've had my hands full with this and that, so the volunteering idea hasn't returned, but I've often thought about that stirring of excitement I felt as I perused their website.

This morning, just as my daughter was leaving for school, and I was considering yoga or more coffee, a thought occurred to me from out of the blue, and all of a sudden, it made sense to me why this school held such a fascination for me.  It represents a blend of elements which deep down I believe must be present and in the proper mixture, along with some other elements, for a school to be dynamic and yet structured enough to provide ideal learning situations for my kids (my kids, your kids, your sister's kids...all my kids). 

I knew I had opinions about school and learning, both the formal and organic variety, but until this morning, I had no idea that I also was forming a vision for what exactly that might look like.  I am to get involved with the learning sector.  I have abundant passion for this, apparently.  I feel on fire, maybe like Maria Montessori felt when she saw what she saw and created her system of learning.  The main elements of this vision of an ideal learning situation consists of an LPC, a CADCA, a cadre of MFAs, a master gardener and a master culinarian (needn't be a chef by label, just love to cook and be good at it).  Into this mixture would rotate a cadre of science, technology, divinity/philosophy and business teachers, with people from the various fields coming to give age-appropriate presentations on a regular basis. 

Is this a group home for children who have been separated from their families somehow (foster kids)?  It's a big vision, but one I could really get my teeth into.  It encompasses, I believe, all of the territories which are most dear to me, and about which I feel the most passion.  Okay, it's October 6, 2011, and I have just had an urge to found and open an orphanage!  Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment