Back when I was little, my friends and I might say during a game of pretend, "I'm her." We might even get in an argument about who gets to be whichever coveted persona "her" was. I just now got an image of myself as a lighthouse keeper, and joined in with my inner seven-year-old and said with her in unison "I'm her." Then we laughed out loud and coined the title "Lifehouse Keeper."
"Ooooh, good one," one of us said to the other.
What's so cool about a lifehouse keeper?
It's an important job. The people we are here to serve get to range far and venture big because they know that if they get anywhere near our place, they will be able to make it in safely. We get to spend most of our time in solitude. We have company many weekends, but not all the time. We get to love the fact that we are not the only lifehouse in the world, and let that notion go. We get to travel without leaving home if we want to, and going away for a bit is also a cinch. It's also more of a sacred office than a position, just as any "being yourself" modality is. In any case, it's the only "me" we can be, so we say, "I'm her!"
"Ooooh, good one," one of us said to the other.
What's so cool about a lifehouse keeper?
It's an important job. The people we are here to serve get to range far and venture big because they know that if they get anywhere near our place, they will be able to make it in safely. We get to spend most of our time in solitude. We have company many weekends, but not all the time. We get to love the fact that we are not the only lifehouse in the world, and let that notion go. We get to travel without leaving home if we want to, and going away for a bit is also a cinch. It's also more of a sacred office than a position, just as any "being yourself" modality is. In any case, it's the only "me" we can be, so we say, "I'm her!"
No comments:
Post a Comment